The Migliarino estate covers a five kilometre- wide territory along the Tyrrhenian coast and borders on the Massaciuccoli lake to the North and the river Serchio to the South.

Nowadays the estate belongs to several members of the Salviati family and it came into their possession in the 16 th century. From the beginning of the 15 th century the Salviati family played an important economic role, as wool and silk producers and as bankers: 30 banks in Florence, 11 in Pisa, 1 in Venice, Naples, Geneva, Lione, Antwerp, Bruges, London, Lisbon and Constantinople.

The Salviati family also played an important historical role, remaining at the head of the Florentine Republic for the majority of the time: they had 21 gonfaloniers and 61 priors, they formed a strictly connexion with the Medici family, with whom they contracted seven marriages.

In 1478, during “la congiura dei pazzi”, an event happened which risked jeopardizing the relationship between the two families, with Francesco Salviati, Archbishop of Pisa having a defining role in the conspiracy. He was killed and hung in “Piazza della Signoria” in Firenze. However, Lorenzo il Magnifico, as a mark of reconciliation, offered the hand of his favourite daughter Lucrezia in marriage to Jacopo Salviati. Both settled in Rome following Lucrezia’s brother, Pope Leone x, and took up residence in “Palazzo Madama”, which is the current senate-house of the Italian Republic.

In that historical Palace, Lucrezia brought up numerous offspring. One of them, Maria, married Giovanni de Medici, whose son Cosimo I became Duke of Tuscany and his grand-daughter Caterina married the King of France.

The Salviati family also played an important political and financial role in Rome, where four members were elected cardinals.

In the late 1700’s the family was in danger of exstinction due to cardinal Gregorio Salviati. The last descendend of the family, Anna Maria, married the Principe Marcantonio Borghese, whose grandson Scipione held the name and title of Duke of the Salviati family and through him we come to today’s owners.

Throughout the 17 th and 18 th centuries bovine farming, horse farming and sheep farming was practised on a great part of the estate’s rough and marshy land; with the remaining part providing woodland for the production of timber and coal.

In the 1800’s Migliarino underwent a big transformation thanks to Duke Scipione Salviati. The entire estate was reclaimed by regulating the water , making it possible to build thirthy farmhouses, two homesteads, a church, a school, big storehouses and the Villa; but one of the most important works was the transformation of 2000 hectares of wood in a park with species such as pinus pinea, oaks, holm-oaks and taxodium disticum, which reach a height of more than twenty/thirty metres.

branch of the family was established in Germany during the Luteran Reformation. Its last descendant married Principe Hohenzollern, while the brother Von Salviati, took part in the conspiracy of Colonel von Staufenberg against Hitler. When the conspiracy failed, he was killed.